Today’s post reviews a selection of the Ordinary skincare products. I have waited a while to write this post as I wanted to ensure I could fully review and reflect on the products. I researched these products and the brand a lot before purchasing. For those that have possibly been unaware of the Ordinary they are one of the biggest launches to the beauty world over the past few years. Many celebrities, bloggers and dermatologists rave about the products and after a few months of use I can see why.
The Ordinary brings a whole different approach to skincare. In a nutshell, instead of their products being a blend of lots of ingredients for a range of different skin issues, they are broken down and sold as separate products at a really good price. This allows you to tailor your skincare routine and buy exactly what you need. However, it is very overwhelming when you first look at their products as they have medical names and I personally had no clue what they were or where to start!
So I spent some time looking online, watching videos and reading reviews. Their website is really helpful and eve has some suggested routines for different skin concerns. My main concern at the age of 41 is ageing. I am getting fine lines undre my eyes, across my forehead and in between my eyes. My skin has also gone quite dry in places over the past couple of years, although I do still get a bit of oil on my T-zone. So I decided to buy the following products and have been using them for the past 3 months. I start with my usual cleansing and toning. Then apply the products in this order.
Matrixyl 10% + HA
- Highly-effective anti-aging serum formulated to target fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dramatically reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles by stimulating collagen and elastin production.
- Hyaluronic acid provides a boost of hydration.
This is a clear liquid that I apply after cleansing and toning to my face and neck. It is quite sticky and absorbs into the skin quite quickly so I have to use it quickly and seem to need a few drops to be able to cover my skin. I have noticed a huge difference with this product and it has reduced the fine lines across my forehead. It leaves the skin feeling plump and refreshed. I am very impressed with this product. I apply it morning and night.
Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion
- lightweight, milky-textured serum works hard to defeat the main signs of skin ageing. Lines, wrinkles, loose skin, and pigmentation become visibly reduced.
- No irritation usually associated with using retinoid products.
I am so impressed with this product. It is very light on the skin and sinks in without any stickiness. It is a white thick liquid that does not dry my skin or leave any irritation. I apply it to my forehead, under my eyes and my neck after my serums at night. I apply my moisturiser afterwards. The only thing to bear in mind is Advanced Retinoid 2% causes enhanced sensitivity to sunlight, so you must always wear sun cream the morning after and only use it at night. This is one of my favourite products from the Ordinary. I believe it has made a big impact on reducing my fine lines. It definitely lives up to the claims.
100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil
30ml for £9.00
- A pure blend of cold-pressed and organic rosehip oil which hydrates and supports healthy skin.
- Rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, rosehip oil is renowned for its anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties.
- This silky oil helps to calm redness, hydrate dry skin, treat scars and burns, brighten skin, and regenerate damaged tissue.
I apply this at night after my retinoid. It is a yellow coloured oil.Lots of people rave about this rose hip oil but if I am honest, I am not that fussed about it. I find it leaves my skin very oily and I do not have particularly oily skin. My skin looks greasy after it, not glowing as I had hoped. I have only been applying it once a week as it is so oily. I also make sure I give my skin a good wash the morning after to remove any traces of it.
Since Purchasing these products I have also bought a couple of other products; The Buffet Serum, which is one of the Ordinary’s cult products and Agireline Solution 10%. I have only been using these for the past week but thought I would add them to my review. I also use the High-Adherance Silcone Primer which I love and is dirt cheap at £3.90 for 30ml. I have a full review post on the here.
30ml for £12.50
- A multi-technology peptide serum which targets multiple signs of ageing at once.
- Combining a number of highly concentrated peptides together with amino and hyaluronic acids for a powerful all-in-one anti-aging treatment.
- Includes Matrixyl 3000 which is a peptide specifically designed to stimulate collagen synthesis and skin repair.
- Includes Hyaluronic Acid which attracts up to 1000 times its weight in water.
- Lightweight serum visibly targets surface hydration, fine lines, wrinkles, dynamic lines and textural irregularities.
I bought this as I had finished my Matrixyl and thought as this contained matrixyl along with other good peptides and ingredients I would give it a try. I actually prefer this so far as it is not sticky like the Matrixyl. The Buffet serum seems to absorb into the skin better. I use it morning and evening after cleansing and toning before my other serums. I cannot report on the effects it has had with fine lines yet as I have only been using it for a week.
Agireline Solution 10%
30ml for £5.50
- A water based serum to prevent the muscle movement that leads to wrinkle formation.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles by preventing skin from folding.
- Particularly powerful around the eyes and forehead.
- Use twice daily under moisturiser as a lightweight means to achieve smoother, younger looking skin.
- Reviews are claiming this product is “BOTOX IN A BOTTLE!!”
This is a runny clear liquid. I have been applying a few drops twice daily to my forehead and under my eyes after my Buffet cream and before my retinoid and moisturiser. Reviews said you really need to stick at this product and it can take a few months to start working, but I have noticed a difference just after a week or so. My ‘11’ lines on my forehead between my eyes are looking improved. I am looking forward to see how this works over time. It is a complete bargain at £5.50!
Overall I am just so impressed with the Ordinary products. I have been raving about them to my friends and family. I have seen such a difference with the lines around my eyes and across my forehead and my skin is glowing and hydrated. I buy my products from Beauty Bay but they are available in a few online stores. I would love for them to be stocked in an actual UK store so I could go and have a good look at them. I would say that is my only negative about the brand and products. Let me know in the comments box of any other products from the Ordinary you recommend.
Hope you enjoyed the post. Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog www.islandbeautyjunkie.com so you don’t miss out on any exciting beauty and skincare posts. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Thanks for reading x